Announced in July this year, the Xiaomi 12s Ultra has just had the powerful camera set evaluated by the portal DXOMARK. In addition to the Snapdragon 8 Plus Gen 1, the premium device had precisely the photography power as the biggest highlight in front of the 1-inch sensor and Leica’s optimizations. Despite this, even though it delivered excellent results, inconsistencies positioned it poorly in the site’s rankings, falling behind even its predecessor.
- Xiaomi 13 Ultra should debut in the global market, suggests brand CEO
- Alleged Xiaomi 13 and Redmi 12 Note appear registered with a European body
Excellent results but strong inconsistency
The Xiaomi 12S Ultra camera set has very advanced specifications, bringing optimizations implemented in partnership with Leica, after the end of the renowned camera manufacturer’s agreement with Huawei – possibly as a reflection of the US sanctions that the manufacturer faces.
The device ships three lenses, with a 50 MP Sony IMX989 main sensor, with dimensions equivalent to 1 inch, f/1.9 aperture, 8P 8-element lens and optical stabilization (OIS), 48 MP ultrawide with f/2.2 aperture. , 128° field of view, optical and electronic image stabilization (OIS and EIS), and a 48 MP telephoto with f/4.1 aperture, 5x optical zoom, 120x digital and OIS.
According to experts from DXOMARKthe device features good exposure for landscapes and portraits in any lighting conditions, relatively wide dynamic range in stills in videos, accurate autofocus in photos in all lighting conditions, excellent balance between texture and noise, color rendering interesting (especially Leica modes), and good image quality in long-distance zoom shots.
Already as flaws, the team points out notable instabilities in HDR and exposure in several scenes, delay of about 0.3 second in HDR and low light captures, focus and exposure instabilities with the telephoto lens, noise visible in high contrast scenes even with good lighting, low contrast and occasional lighting artifacts in backlit scenes, and no HDR processing in the preview.
Examples of photos
Examples of videos
Xiaomi 12S Ultra: amazing inconsistent camera
according to DXOMARK, with 138 points, the Xiaomi 12S Ultra has excellent camera quality but is very inconsistent. Taking the 5th place in the global ranking of the site, the device delivers incredible results when all components work in harmony, but the lack of stability in the quality of photos and videos makes it less reliable than rivals like the iPhone 13 Pro Max.
Interestingly, experts claim that the device is even less reliable when compared to its predecessor, the Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra, which would deliver slightly superior results in multiple aspects — the graphics prepared by the DXOMARK show advantages of the previous generation in all aspects evaluated. The Xiaomi 12S Ultra is exclusively sold in China, with prices starting at 5,999 yuan (~R$4,460).
Xiaomi 12S Ultra: technical sheet
- Display: 6.73-inch Samsung E5 AMOLED LTPO 2.0, 3200 x 1440 pixels QHD+ resolution, 1 Hz to 120 Hz refresh rate, 1500 nits peak brightness, HDR10+, Dolby Vision
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Plus Gen 1
- RAM memory: 8GB or 12GB
- Storage: 256GB or 512GB
- Rear Cameras: 50 MP (Main, Sony IMX989, 1″, f/1.9, 8P, OIS) + 48 MP (Ultrawide, f/2.2, 13 mm, 128°, EIS, OIS) + 48 MP (telephoto, optical zoom) 5x, 120x digital, f/4.1, OIS)
- Front camera: 32 MP (f/2.4)
- Dimensions: 163.1 x 74.9 x 9.06 mm
- Weight: 225 g
- Battery: 4,860 mAh with 67W fast charging
- Extras: 5G, Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.2, NFC, infrared sensor, 50W wireless charging, Harman Kardon stereo sound, under-display fingerprint scanner, Leica camera optimizations
- Available colors: black and green with gold
- Operating system: Android 12, under MIUI 13