Google has been doing artificial intelligence research for years. DeepMind’s laboratory in London is considered one of the best study centers on the subject in the world. In addition, big tech has pioneered AI projects — such as self-driving cars and so-called “grand language models” (LLMs), which are used in the development of chatbots.
In recent years, Google has used LLMs to improve the quality of its search results, but has avoided full adoption of AI. This caution is justified by the tendency of this technology to generate false and biased statements.
The idea is to build a new search engine with this type of technology. The company is also upgrading the existing one with AI capabilities, according to internal documents reviewed by The Times.
The new tool, called Project Magi, is being created by designers, engineers and executives to tweak and test the latest versions. The new search engine would offer users a much more personalized experience than the company’s current service, trying to anticipate users’ needs.
Not every brainstorming or product idea leads to a launch, but as we’ve said before, we’re excited to bring new AI-powered features to research and will share more details soon.
Lara Levin, spokesperson for Google.
Google’s race is against time and, above all, against ChatGPT – since OpenAI demonstrated the technology in November 2022. Two weeks later, the search engine created a task force to start building AI products.
What about Bard?
Apparently Google wants to take it one step at a time. As you may recall, the Bard‘s debut ended up lacking . Furthermore, the Bard and the Magi Project must co-exist. Just look:
- Plans for the new search engine are still in the early stages, with no clear timeline for when the new technology will roll out.
- The system would learn what users want to know based on what they are searching for when they start using it. And it would offer pre-selected pick lists of items to buy, information to research, etc. It would also be more informal—like talking to a helpful person.
- But long before the search engine can be rebuilt, Project Magi will add features to the existing tool, according to internal documents obtained by The New York Times.
- Google has more than 160 people working full time, according to a newspaper source.
- Magi would keep ads in the search result mix.
- This is important to Google, as search ads are their primary way of making money.
- Bard, on the other hand, does not display ads. And there’s an expectation in the tech industry that AI responses in search engines could make ads less relevant to users.
- Last week, Google invited some employees to test Magi’s features and encouraged them to ask the search engine follow-up questions to gauge its ability to carry on a conversation.
- Google is expected to release the tools to the public next month and add more features in the second half, according to the planning document.
- The company initially plans to release the funds to a maximum of one million people. This number should progressively increase to 30 million by the end of the year.
- Features will be available exclusively in the United States.
With information from The New York Times .