TechMarkup then brings a collection of 10 tips and tricks to get the most out of Canvas, a versatile online design platform that allows you to create all kinds of designs. This website allows you to create personal, educational or professional brochures, stationery and other types of projects using an intuitive interface that makes it easy. This is even for users with less editing skills.
And just because Canva makes things easy for new users, we’ve included some basic features, as well as little tricks to save a little more time. This article focuses solely on the free version so that anyone can get the most out of the tool without having to pay for the advanced version.
1. Create a web page
Simple websites can be created in just 3 steps:
– Choose a template and customize it to your liking.
– Publish it as a web page.
– Choose a free or paid domain where it will be displayed.
2. Change the color of a wallpaper
Canva allows you to change the color of the wallpaper, even if it’s a photograph, in which case it will slightly change its hue to the color you have chosen. However, especially in the case of a photo, a previous step will have to be done so that the background is not replaced by simply a flat color:
– Click on the photo or image of the wallpaper.
– Click on the option Transparency up to the right.
– In order not to change the background to a flat color, the transparency must be less than 100%.
– Now, click on the color button that you have above.
– The colors option will open in the side menu, where you can select one or create a new color manually.
3. Put links
Canva is a tool designed for design, but versatile enough to offer all kinds of tools.
Although many designs will want to be printed, if you want to keep them in digital format you can add elements as links inside the creation. If the design is later used for something physical, then it will be lost, but if it becomes an online element, of course, it will have it, and it will even stay when it is downloaded in PDF.
– Create a text element and place it where you want.
– Give the format you want.
– Select the part of the text where you want to put the link.
– With the text selected, click on the button Link with the chains icon.
– If the interface is very enlarged and does not appear, give the icon three points to see.
– Now just write the link.
4. Add QR codes
QR codes can be created to promote a website:
– Go to option Plus located at the bottom of the bar or side menu
– Select QR code.
– Add the url that you want to be obtained when they scan that code
5. Keyboard shortcuts for bold and italics
– Press Control + B either Control + I when you have a text selected to add or remove bold and italics respectively.
– In addition, you press on Control + Shift + K, the text will be converted to all caps.
6. Generate color palette from an image
Sometimes you may want to use a certain photograph for a project, and the user would like the color palette for the design to be made to be related to that of the photos.
Fortunately, on an external Canva website you can generate color palettes from photos. You just have to enter the website Canva.com/colors and choose the option Color palette generator.
7. Download any design from the main page
It will not be necessary to go into the projects to download them, since it can also be done from the main page of Canva.
This is one of those options that, despite being there forever, sometimes people ignore due to the inertia of going to a project to review it before downloading it.
You just have to go down to the section your designsand click on the button three points of which you want to see the download option and choose the format in which it is done.
8. Move items with the keyboard
Moving elements with the mouse is anything but subtle, although fortunately there are also a method to move elements with the keyboard arrow buttons. And this one does move the elements very little by little.
What you have to do is select the item you want to move, and then press the keyboard arrows.
9. Copy elements or styles
Sometimes you’re working on a design and you wonder what it would look like if you did that instead. Undoing changes is easy with Control + Z, but if you want to work on both versions to see which one you’d stick with, the best and fastest thing is to make an exact copy of the design to duplicate it before doing anything.
All you have to do is click on the tab File, Archive that you have in the upper bar, and in it click on the option of Make a copy. The copy will be called literally Copy of XXX, but you can change the name to whatever you want.
10. Insert text
In general, when you are in a project and you have to add a text, first you select the place where you want to put the text, and then you go to the left side menu to choose the option to insert a text. Nevertheless, there is a much faster method which will save virtually the entire process.
What you have to do is select the field where you want to put the text by clicking on it with the mouse, and then simply press the T key to insert a text directly without having to search for it in the menu.