The internet of things (IoT) refers to all the connection of devices such as voice assistants, heaters or vehicles, that have the ability to connect to a network to execute functions of navigation or reproduction of content like music and video.
However, a new edition of Cyber Signals, a newsletter produced by Microsoft which highlights relevant information about technologyindicates that the use of this infrastructure could also have a share of risk for the Businessas well as practical recommendations to increase the trust in these systems.
According to the document, the company identified that security patches, which ensure that cybercriminals do not violate these networks Connection, have vulnerabilities in 75% of cases. In addition, these high-severity failures became widespread up to 78% in equipment used to establish these networks from technology and the internet of things.
Although devices that are designed for connection and collaborative work through the internet allow users to users generate more modern environments, driven by technology and with amenities for the workersthese must be protected to prevent their failures from being exploited by cybercriminals.
According to Microsoft“As the economy cybercriminal expands and malware targeting systems becomes more prevalent and easier to use, threat actors have more varied ways of mounting attacks on a large scale”. In this context, devices such as cameras, smart speakers, or commercial locks and appliances could also become vulnerable and susceptible points for attackers.
In addition, it indicates that in the event that threats that are directed towards critical infrastructure systems, each organization has to know how many devices they have, where and how they are linked to the network
How to keep systems secure in a company
Microsoft gives some recommendations for Internet of Things (IoT) systems to remain secure and out of the reach of cybercriminals. These are:
– It is necessary to work with the interested parties. The Business they must identify the critical areas for their businesses and their digital environments that involve the application of technology.
– Companies must identify the devices technologies that are linked to others and are critical to the company’s business operations.
– A risk analysis is necessary to know the impact of different scenarios in which the company is the victim of a cyber attack.
– Once the analysis is done, a strategy must be developed in which the impact of the attack on the business is prioritized.
How to defend IoT systems against cyber attacks
Prevention work is a way to prevent cyber attacks are not successful when attempting to infiltrate company systems. That is why, in order to act appropriately in these situations, the organizations They must act quickly.
– Implement policies safety new and improved is the first step to be able to strengthen the systems. In the case of the methodology of Zero Trustbased on the fact that all external devices must be identified, allows for greater security in the company network.
– The solution of safety It must be complete and for this, certain steps must be followed, such as continuous monitoring, evaluation of possible points of attack, threat detection and response.
“The best approach to combat attackers targeting technology is the Trust Zero and device visibility, understanding what you have on a network and what it’s connected to is critical,” says David Atch, Head of IoT/OT Security Research at Microsoft.
In addition, he also indicated that “the security of critical infrastructures is a global challenge and difficult to address. We must be innovative in creating tools and conducting research to learn more about these types of attacks.”
what about companies
Companies must transform in all their areas, “2023 comes with enormous challenges for companies such as customer service, since the forms of consumption and user behavior have been evolving. Trends such as cybersecurity, messaging, automation and customer experience will gain prominence”, said Julián Sánchez, CEO and co-founder of Bidda.
These are the tips to advance in this digital transformation:
1. Understand that the customer service experience is transversal to the entire company.
2. Analyze and observe the changes that users have, to identify the preferences that customers have when communicating.
3. Live today. That is, if the communications are instantaneous, this is how a client wants the responses to their requests to be.
4. The acquisition of new tools is the beginning to improve processes and return more pleasant experiences to your collaborators and clients.