Messaging platforms are increasingly concerned about maintaining the security and privacy of their users, because today more than ever the cases of cyber threats are soaring.
In this case, it has been WhatsApp who has updated their information about temporary messages, function that has served to send messages privately and confidentially so that they cannot be left hanging around the network permanently.
Important facts about this feature
– On the one hand, when the temporary messages function is activated, it can be set to disappear 24 hours, 7 days or 90 days after being sent, and it will only work for messages after the configuration.
– In individual chats, temporary messages can be activated by either party, just like in groups, unless the administrators have determined that only they can carry out this type of setting.
– When settings are made to disappear messages after 24 hours, 7 days or 90 days, if the receiver of the message does not open the application during the same period of time, the message will be deleted without being able to read it since the chat, but there will always be the possibility that you have read it from the notifications that the cell phone shows.
– When replying to a contact by quoting a temporary message, it is possible for the contact to remain in the chat permanently, even after the configured duration.
– If a temporary message is forwarded to a chat where the temporary message function is not configured, it will remain permanently. In other words, there could be users saving temporary messages in other chats.
– If a backup is made before a temporary message disappears, it will be saved in the backup. But the temporary messages will be deleted when a user restores from a backup.
With the above, Although this tool helps to keep certain training of special care safe and private, the application suggests using these temporary messages with people you trust the most, since there is the possibility of saving them through the following actions:
– Forward the message or take a screenshot of it before it disappears.
– Copy and save the message before it disappears in other chats or applications such as notepads and word processors.
– Take a photo of the cell phone screen where the temporary messages function is activated, with another device just before they are deleted.
How to configure temporary messages for all chats from the personal account
These steps can be followed on both iOS and Android.
1. Open the app and go to settings or settings
2. Select the “Account” option
3. Tap on the “Privacy” section
4. Select a message duration by tapping on “Default duration” or “Default message duration”
Multimedia files also disappear if temporary messages are activated
Most cell phone users have activated the automatic download to their photo galleries, the audiovisual files that are sent through Whatsapp, so the files will be deleted from the messaging platform but not from the phone.
In any case, if you want to disable the automatic download of photos and videos, you must follow these steps
1. Open the WhatsApp application on the cell phone
2. Go to settings or configuration
3. Tap on “Storage and data”
4. Select the Automatic Download section.
5. Make settings for the three options displayed.