technology company, Goaltogether with the NGO dedicated to the analysis, study and promotion of citizenship in digital territories, Faro Digital, began a campaign that aims to educate users about the security measures that they must take into account to be protected in social networks.
The technology company has programs to promote digital citizenship, so that users use the tools at their disposal to browse safelyensuring an appropriate balance between the securityfreedom of expression, authenticity and privacy.
With content distributed on the official channels of both Faro Digital and Meta, users can learn what acts can violate their security and what tools they can apply to prevent digital crimes such as hoaxes, scams, account takeovers, and identity theft.
1. Need to establish a strong password and don’t share it with nobody. It is important to have at least eight characters and use a combination of numbers, letters (upper and lower case), and special characters (!#$%&…).
2. It is preferable to set different passwords for different website or app accounts. Avoid passwords related to name or date of birth are not secure.
3. Recommend to activate the two-step authentication to have greater security in the accounts. This function will allow users’ personal devices to receive a security code that validates access.
4. The login alerts they can help identify unauthorized access. These notifications appear when you log in from a new device or not recognized. These alerts can prevent others from using an account.
5. The unknown links they are a danger. A link requesting access to a particular account or page should not be touched; cybercriminals may be trying to access personal information through phishing. Checking that the links received by mail are from legitimate sources can make a difference.
6. It is recommended check privacy through a review of which profiles can see the posts made from the personal account, have access to a phone number or email address. This applies to social media profiles like Instagram and Facebook.
7. Deleting accounts you don’t want to interact with is always an option. Users can remove profiles from your friend lists and followers on social networks such as Instagram, in addition to block or restrict users so that they do not interact with the content that is offered from a personal account.
These unwanted accounts they won’t be able to view content, invite to events, add to groups, or send requests to users who blocked them. The restrictions they are a way to prevent account activity.
“While technological tools are constantly becoming more sophisticated to protect us from abuse, the first barrier of defense against security attacks it is us, the users,” said Maria Julia Díaz Ardaya, Director of Public Policy for Meta.
In addition, Díaz indicated that “it is essential to be informed and prepared for any attempt at deception or cyber attack.”