The cybercriminals continue to seek economic benefits at the expense of the privacy of the people, this time they identified themselves in WhatsApp some links that download a type program adware (program that automatically delivers advertising) in it mobile, which affect the operation of the equipment and steal personal data.
How an adware works
Unlike viruses that steal private data, this one is dedicated to exaggeratedly generating publicity, either by way of notifications pop-ups, pop-up window or in another way that may make users uncomfortable during the time of use of the smartphone.
That is why even when the adware They are not a particularly harmful virus, they are capable of generating bad user experiences through the advertising that is generated and at the same time, makes money to the cybercriminalbecause each of these advertisements gives a percentage of profit to those who spread them.
In this sense, users should avoid interacting with any type of message that contains the link: : “wp20.ru”.
The gravity is also in that the contacts of WhatsApp They are in danger because many times these programs collect their data and spread the virus with links that have the same characteristics.
For this reason, even in the case of a trusted contact, if the user receives a message that includes a linksyou should ask the friend or relative if that information is trusted, if they replicated it or if they never sent anything and it is an impersonation.
The preventive attitude must also be taken on platforms such as PCs or laptops, since they are no less vulnerable to this type of malware, for example, the infection can modify the configuration of the browser to change the home page, among other changes.
How to eliminate and prevent these cyberattacks
In the event that an infection has occurred, the safest option to remove the adware of the system, be it smartphone or pcis to use a reputable antivirus program.
The device that has been compromised needs to strengthen its system of security and the victims need to maintain their preventive attitude to avoid falling again in this type of attacks or in others.
The recommendation of prevention on the links in WhatsApp is also applicable to emailsa method commonly used by phishing campaigns to get users to “voluntarily” provide information to cybercriminals.
To avoid being a victim of these malicious agents, it is preferable to report the emails and accounts from which this type of content arrives so that the email from which the attack comes is blocked.
The most common cyber attacks
Felipe Sánchez, CEO of WeKall, explained the 5 most common types of affectations during this end of the year.
– Ransomware: is a malicious crypto virology software that threatens to publish the victim’s data or permanently block access to it unless a price is paid.
– Cryptomining: the malware program and components are developed to hijack computer resources and use them to extract cryptocurrencies.
According to analysis firm Crystal Blockchain, between 2011 and so far in 2022, scams and attacks on the digital asset industry have generated losses of $14 billion.
– Phishing: it is a fraudulent attempt to obtain confidential information such as usernames, passwords and credit card details by disguising yourself as a trusted entity through e-mails.
– ‘Botnets’: according to the definition of the Oxford Dictionary, a chain of bots is “a network of private computers infected with malicious software and controlled as a group without the knowledge of their owners”. How does it work? First, a hacker creates malware to gain control of thousands of computers. He then enslaves his computer and thousands of others, using his power to carry out large-scale attacks.
– Viruses and worms: a threat disguised as files and programs of unknown origin.