It does not matter that operating system the reader is using (macOS, Windows either Linux); they all have a native tool that allows users to set a password for the folders.
Thanks to this option, documents, photos, videos, music and other files will be safe. How can it be activated? TechMarkup brings a guide complete for each one.
Also, as additional information, it is important to mention that ESET found that most users do not know that their computers have this function. The company recommends that all users should use this option if they have a desktop either laptop that are shared with other people, for example, at work, at home (used with other family members), etc.
How to put a password on folders in macOS
Creating a rudimentary password involves an encrypted disk image through the tool disk-utility of the operating system. Once generated, the user can access the folder in the form of a mounted virtual disk to modify, delete or add content after writing a designated password.
Any changes made with the disk mounted will be automatically encrypted and password protected when the disk is thrown into the Trash. To encrypt a folder, follow these Steps:
1. Go to macOS Disk Utility in the folder Applications or do you have to search through spot light. Once seen, open the program.
2. Click the file on the Disk Utility toolbar, choose New from the sequential dropdown menu and then Folder Disk Image.
3. Then identify the folder to be password protected in the resulting folder.
4. Select it and press the button Image at the bottom right edge of the window.
5. After tagging and naming the resulting files, choose reading writing in the dropdown explicitly to the right of ‘image format‘.
6. Next, select encryption 128-bit AES decryption by the dropdown menu to the right of the encoding option.
7. Now, select a preferred save destination and hit the option Blank Image from the bottom right edge when finished.
5. Once prompted, re-enter your chosen password into the spaces in the center of the pop-up window. Then uncheck the box to the left of Remember password in my keychain and press the key ‘OKAY’in the lower right corner of the window.
6. After creating the password protected disk image, confirm which runs like clockwork when trying to access components. Once you determine the protection, delete the main folder to make it inaccessible.
How to put a password on folders in Windows
1. After you have created a folder in Windows which should be filled with all your important files, do right click on it and select ‘Properties’.
2. The operating system will show a small window where you have to select ‘General’ and then ‘Advanced Options’.
3. The option ‘Encrypt content to protect data’ will be off by default. You have to activate it and save the changes. Now, when a stranger tries to access the folder, you have to enter the password that is used to log in to the Windows account.
It should be noted that this tool does not work correctly on some versions of Windows, so in these cases it can be used third party software. There are many options here, both free and paid, but the most popular are WinRAR Y 7-Zip.
1. These programs are quite easy to use. Before proceeding to compress the folder, you must select ‘Set password’ and then add a security key, preferably a combination of numbers and letters.
2. After zipping the folder, unzip it and save the file zip either rare.
3. In the future, you need to enter the security key to verify such content. Do not forget this for any reason or your files will be lost forever.
How to put a password on folders in Linux
Finally, if Linux is used on the computer, data stored in folders can also be protected.
1. To do this, you have to use an app like EncFS, Veracrypt either CryptoKeeper. The latter is the most popular as it is available in the Debian and Ubuntu repositories.
2. After installation, there will be a small padlock Icon, which must be pressed to create a new encrypted folder.
3. After the folder name, you need set a password. And voila, that’s it. When you want to access the folders, the security code will be requested.