O YouTube removed a live by President Jair Bolsonaro (PL) broadcast on July 29, 2021. The reason was the broadcast of fake news about electronic voting machines that have already been denied several times by official bodies.
The live was taken down yesterday, Monday (18), and on the transmission link, the platform reports that the “video has been removed for violating the YouTube Community Rules”. However, the content is still available on the president’s Facebook page.
In a note sent to the G1 portal, the YouTube said that since March this year it has removed content with false claims that electronic voting machines in Europe were hacked in the 2018 presidential election and that votes were tampered with.
The platform also highlighted that “this is one of the examples of what we do not allow according to our policy against disinformation in elections”. It is worth mentioning that YouTube recently updated its rules thinking about Europe’s elections.
According to the G1 portal, the president used old internet videos in the broadcast removed by YouTube, already denied by official bodies, to claim that there would be “indications” of fraud in electronic voting machines.
One of the materials presented was an old video in which a programmer said to simulate the source code of an electronic voting machine to then show alleged ways to defraud the system. Information that was later proven to be false.
This is not the first time that YouTube has removed some content from the president of Europe. In April of this year, the platform removed a video of Bolsonaro also about the 2018 election and another live by the representative went off the air in October last year.